And so slowly yet so quickly, the 9 month holiday has passed and school life has resumed. College is vastly different from JC, definitely, yet there are similarities which, strangely enough, I'm happy about. Familiar things like sitting in a lecture hall with those pull-up table things, taking notes, studying in silence at the library make me feel closer to home than I actually am. Then the differences set in and remind me that I'm in college - having to be independent and gather information on my own, sift out what's important because textbooks just throw chapters and chapters of information in your face, and resolve problems on my own because I don't know many of my classmates.
That's all the studying stuff, then there's the social part. I can walk into a lecture hall and literally know NOBODY. In those lectures I basically sit next to a different person every time (wherever there is an empty seat) and talk to whoever is next to me for that period of 50 or 80 minutes. I definitely think it's a privilege to be able to meet so many different types of people but it's human to desire familiarity.
Speaking of different types of people, I feel compelled to make a record of how amazed I am that Vancouver is so diverse, in case I take it for granted in future. Firstly, international population. I've met people from all around Canada (obvious), Singapore (also obvious), Malaysia, Thailand, China, Zimbabwe, USA, Iran, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. It's so cool how I can walk around campus and hear people speak in all sorts of languages I don't understand! Secondly, style of dressing. On a typical day you will be able to see people wearing all sorts of attire - some dress like it's really warm (shorts and tank top) and some dress like it's really cold (winter jacket and scarf). Maxi dresses, spag dresses, fringe tops, boots with heels, you name it. Thirdly, mode of transport. It's pretty common for people to cycle to school but to skateboard to classes? Girls bringing their skateboard into the classroom - that's pretty cool.
While many things are still amazing to me, I have to say that orientations here are pretty disappointing. I've been for 3 and had fun in none of them. Guess nothing's perfect! Actually glad that orientation is over because it's tiring making superficial friends over and over again.
God has been wonderful to me though! I've met quite a few Singaporeans and Malaysians and they make me feel so comfortable! I'm so glad to have them and planning things with them has been great! Did I mention that most of them are Christians too? That's really incredible. I cannot thank God enough for how much he has blessed me. Went to Tenth Church with Elyssa, Gervais and Adam on Sunday and I felt that it was a very special place to be. I do see myself going back there regularly! Also had nice Japanese-Korean food with them after which ended the night perfectly (:
Also, God has taught me over the past 2 weeks the meaning of "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thankgiving let your requests be made known to God." -Philippians 4:6
In so many situations I was worried about school stuff but they all worked themselves out pretty smoothly and I can't help but be in awe. I registered for my courses about 2 months ago and barely managed to arrive at a timetable that was decent but not quite desirable because of things like having to get to a class a thousand miles away in 10 minutes and having to wake up at 6 plus 3 days in a row. Well, THE DAY BEFORE classes started, I managed to change my timetable and now it's so much better! Also, I have the older edition of the bio textbooks and some pages are missing. Was frantically in search for people who would lend me the newest edition of the textbook but I didn't have to because that person appeared so easily next to me in English yesterday and the timing for borrowing and returning the book worked out perfectly. These are just 2 examples and if I go on this would never end. The point is, my worry was almost always unfounded because God understood what I needed and always provided. Always.
Anyway I need to get back to Psychology reading so that's all for now! My motivation to study hard for the rest of the week is Playland on Saturday!!! :D
This is the first time I'm saying this but if you're reading this, thank you for remembering me while I am so far away and thank you for caring (:
DEBORAH
CHRISTIAN
raffles softball
raffles cdance
raffles interact